Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Assignment #4

Why Podcast?

Podcasting can be an effective teaching tool that encourages students to actively participate in the education process. Langwitches –Podcasting with First Grade opened my eyes to the talents of our young students. In this post, first grade students “interview” characters from a chapter book series being read in their classroom. The students asked questions concerning the book, and their questions, along with answers were written into a script. Later, the script was used to assist students in recording the information; the recordings of all the students were then combined into one recording to make their class podcast. The students were excited, cooperative, and attentive throughout the process; they learned many skills including listening, speaking, presenting, technology, comprehension, and oral fluency. I really enjoyed this presentation, and I now have a new appreciation for podcasts. After reading about this project, I can see how beneficial it is to get students involved in project-based learning. The students learned so much more doing this project as opposed to simply gaining additional reading comprehension skills. I also learned that an audience is important at any age! The students appear to have been excited by their audience and the feedback they were getting. In addition, this was a great way to actually present their knowledge with the entire world. I will take many lessons away from this, but most importantly I will note that all of our students have a voice and want to be heard.

Flat Stanley
The Flat Stanley Podcast was very inspirational. I had never heard “Flat Stanley’s” story before, and the podcast gave me a very energetic presentation of who Flat Stanley was. The students then illustrated their own “flat adventure.” I was amazed at how the students narrated their journeys. Everyone who participated in the project truly researched the place they visited; using their words and my own imagination, I had a wonderful experience. This project awesome! The students not only learned about new places, but they also learned about the use of technology. From this project, I learned students are more likely to participate in the learning process if they have a “choice and a voice;” this is classic project-based learning. This is a great example of how we can get our students involved in the learning process, and I have bookmarked this project for future reference.


The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom was a presentation that showed me how I could use podcasting in different ways, including real life situations. For example, it showed how to use podcasting when students are out sick, and it also showed how parents can view their child’s progress as well. This presentation also showed the reality that students are already familiar with technology and how to use it, and with minimal guidance on tools they already have access to, students can easily excel in creating podcasts. I personally enjoyed this presentation, and I particularly love the idea of using podcast for students who are absent from class. This ensures that students do not miss out on classroom discussions, and it keeps everyone connected. Podcasts are not a foreign concept to me; however, I have always been hesitant to try and create my own podcast. The presentations listed above have made me a believer in podcasts, and I cannot wait to create my own. So, why do we podcast? To enhance our learning and then share that knowledge with the world in an engaging way. How do we do a podcast? With the right software, we simply record what we have learned and wait for the world to respond!

1 comment: